IHC orders action against Faizabad Interchange protestors


He tweeted that the seventh meeting of the Joint Coordination Committee on CPEC would be held on November 20 and 21, but there was a sit-in in the capital yet again, comparing the ongoing Faizabad protest to the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's sit-in in 2014.

Two religious parties have been camped at the key route linking Islamabad and Rawalpindi for almost two weeks in protest against the government's change, and then reversal, of the finality of Prophethood oath for lawmakers when it passed the Elections Act, 2017 last month.

He later visited Pakistan in April, 2015. He said the government wanted to end the sit-in peacefully through dialogue.

Islamabad District Administration deputed 1,000 Rangers at Faizabad on request of SSP Operations Sajid Kiyani to assist police in case of operation against the protestors, who have been occupying main entrance of Islamabad for last 13 days to press government to sack Federal Law Minister Zahid Hamid for making attempt to amend Khatam-e-Nabuwwat Declaration for electoral candidates.

He added that it was a legal obligation on the protestors to adhere to the orders of the Islamabad High Court, which had a day earlier directed the capital administration to clear the Faizabad Interchange within 24 hours. According to reports, the government has agreed to accept all demands except the removal of Minister for Law and Justice Zahid Hamid in a second round of talks with leaders of the sit-in.

Religious group protestors blocked Faizabad Interchange.

Referring to the government's orders of clearing the protest site within 24 hours, Qadri said that they would not clear the area as long as all of their demands were not met.

In a continuing effort to find a peaceful solution to the protest, which has disrupted life in Islamabad and Rawalpindi for over a week, Iqbal appealed to the religious leaders and asked them to call off the protest.

Justice Siddiqui maintained that the administration failed to play its due role in resolving the crisis and merely watched the spectacle unfold as a "cricket spectator".

Fed up with the public response in the twin cities, the cold response by federal government, and the rain which started Tuesday, the protesting clerics took to petitioning the IHC for "execution" of their demands.

Acting upon the court-set deadline, the district administration had set a 10PM target on Friday for protesters to end the sit-in, which, as it turns out, was ignored.

On Thursday, the National Assembly had passed the Elections (Amendment) Bill 2017 to restore Khatm-i-Nabuwwat laws to their original form and make sections relating to it "more effective".