Ronan Farrow says his Harvey Weinstein investigation could have aired on NBC

Share

Farrow had the audio recording of Weinstein, for instance, while reporting the story for NBC.

Farrow reportedly worked on the story for more than a year, and after NBC passed on the story, took it to the New Yorker. "Immediately the New Yorker recognized that and it was not accurate to say that it was not reportable".

That article followed a New York Times story published Friday that said Weinstein had been using his position to sexually harass vulnerable women for three decades. Farrow wound up taking the story to the New Yorker magazine, which published it on Tuesday, elicting a wave of outrage and shock.

The inference is that NBC News - which let The Washington Post scoop its own Donald Trump Access Hollywood video a year ago - knew about Weinstein and didn't have the courage to take him on.

It was never determined how the Post got the explosive tape from the show, which is produced by NBC. Ronan Farrow is a contributor at NBC News after his short-lived MSNBC series came and went.

Sister publication Variety reported Tuesday afternoon that Farrow had asked NBC News if he could bring his work to a print outlet thinking that sources might be more willing to cooperate if they did not have to go on camera.

The Daily Beast noted that, internally at NBC, there is a dispute over how many sources Farrow had on the record when he walked out of the door, a sentiment echoed by sources speaking to BuzzFeed News. "In fact, there were multiple determinations at NBC that it was reportable".

What's more, there was some concern within NBC News about whether Farrow's involvement in the story created a conflict of interest.

And while an NBC network source told HuffPost that what Farrow had at NBC was "nowhere close to what ultimately ran in the NY Times or the New Yorker", Farrow disagreed.

Farrow is the son of actress Mia Farrow.

So, given that at least two arms of the NBC machine have made a decision to ignore the Weinstein story it's worth asking: Is NBC afraid of the former movie mogul - as Farrow implies - or were they engaged in a pattern of protecting him until the story got to big?

"By several accounts, at least eight women claiming to have been sexually harassed, abused, or assaulted by Weinstein had agreed to go on camera - a lot of them anonymously in shadow, but two alleged victims with their names and faces", according to the Beast.

Multiple sources told THR that Farrow's reporting was reviewed by NBC News' legal department and that Kim Harris, who as lead counsel for NBCUniversal reports to CEO Steve Burke, was also reviewing the material. Multiple sources say that Farrow had convinced several victims, a lot of them former employees, to tell their stories.

Share