Meth-Laced 7Up Kills 1, Injures 7 in Mexico

Share

That warning came after a 20-year-old student from Wisconsin was found dead after consuming alcohol on a family trip to Playa Del Carmen earlier in 2017.

Health professionals in Arizona are warning those traveling to Mexico to be aware of possible contaminated 7Up beverages in the Mexicali area.

The reports about 7Up bottles contaminated with meth surfacing in Mexicali, Baja California, prompted the U.S. health officials to issue a warning to people traveling to the country.

Mexicali is located about 240 miles from Phoenix and 124 miles from San Diego, just south of the California border and Interstate 8.

Reports state that Baja California state attorney general has already opened a probe into the death and illnesses caused by the contaminated soda drinks.

No 7Up products in the United States have been contaminated, according to Chris Barnes, a spokesman for Dr Pepper Snapple Group, which distributes the beverage in the country.

The incident with soft drink bottles contaminated with methamphetamine is not the first time the drug was discovered in an unlikely place. "We do not market, sell or distribute the brand internationally". An investigation is underway.

Banner Health said that is toxicologists and emergency department physicians are on high alert following the reports of tampering with the soft drink.

The meth-laced drinks can also cause various health complications, including irritation or abnormal taste in the mouth or throat, burning sensation in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, difficulty in breathing and irregular heartbeat, it added.

"It is important to check that the seal for any food and drink consumed is still intact and show no signs of tampering", Dr. Daniel Brooks, the medical director of Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, said in a statement to Banner Health.

Share