Kenya stripped of hosting African Nations Championship after 'delays'

Share

Whether Kenya would host the CHAN 2018 tournament had been subject to a lot of speculation over the last weeks.

Football Kenya Federation has admitted that Kenya was unable to convince Caf not to take away the Chan rights.

"With an overwhelming majority of the members present, it was made a decision to withdraw the host of the competition from Kenya in the light of the accumulated delays and various reports of the inspection missions conducted in the country, the last of which took place from 11 to 17 September 2017, "said the pan-African body in a statement issued on Saturday evening".

FKF seemed to absolve itself from the blame and instead joined in directing accusations at the Kencom House based Ministry of Sports offices and Sports Kenya administration led by chairman Fred Muteti.

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) insists "it did everything humanly possible to ensure that CHAN 2018 became a reality both to Kenyans and the entire East African Region".

The decision was announced at a media conference after a one-day meeting headed by Caf's president Ahmad.

In addition, the committee deduced that the country now has insufficient infrastructure to facilitate a competition of such magnitude.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) cited "accumulated delays" in the country's preparations for the tournament, the continental championship for players playing in their home leagues. African football chiefs also expressed grave concern about political instability in the country following the recently annulled presidential elections that are set to be re-run next month.

CAF president Ahmad, who goes by just one name, said that Cameroon would remain 2019 host for now.

"Successive governments have too often neglected sports and creative industries", the President stated in 2013.

This move has now been overtaken by events in the wake of CAF's announcement.

Share