Fidget spinners catching fire prompts warning from U.S. government

Share

Last week, an 11-year-old boy spent 16 hours in two different hospitals trying to have a fidget spinner removed from his finger. That's why the US Consumer Product Safety Commission today released guidelines for both manufacturers and consumers on how to have a safe time around fidget spinners, particularly ones that contain metal and / or batteries. That's a consumer product warning so typical that it's nearly meaningless. If their recommendations on the obsolescing toy seem uninspired, well, we've been here before. More specifically, some fidget spinners form a choking hazard, while others are a fire hazard. You can imagine the eyeroll that accompanied the writing of that sentence. Quoted by the BBC, CPSC's acting chairwoman Ann Marie Buerkle said: "Keep them from small children".

Fidget spinners spun into popularity this spring. Just make sure not to mistake it for a snack.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says small parts can come off easily and have, according to the group, been implicated in choking incidents in kids up to age 14.

While the CPSC notes that choking hazards also apply to battery-operated fidget spinners, users should be aware of fire risks, too.

Fidget spinners have become extremely popular with people of all ages, including young children. This decision took place after reports of some incidents with battery-operated spinners which caught fire. It added that they should only be charged using the cable they came with, or a cable with the "correct connections for charging". I'm not exaggerating: One of the CPSC's safety tips is to check that you have working smoke detectors if you have fidget spinners with batteries in your house.

CPSC advised that fidget spinners shouldn't be left unattended while charging, and should never be plugged in overnight.

The CPSC is also encouraging businesses to review the agency's guidance on fidget spinners.

Share