Cosby's accuser stands by her story under cross-examination


Cosby is accused of drugging and sexually assaulting former Temple University employee Andrea Constand at his home in suburban Philadelphia in 2004. "He said, 'I apologize to Andrea and I apologize to you'".

Tuesday (June 6) was just the second day of proceedings at a courthouse in Norristown, Pennsylvania, and courtroom watchers - including the judge and Cosby's defense team - were shocked that the prosecution chose to call Constand so early in the trial. Cosby is accused of drugging and sexually assaulting C.

Gianna Constand said she received several phone calls from Cosby, including one in which he shared lewd details of his encounter with Andrea Constand and apologized. When she later began to think that he did, she testified that she didn't feel threatened because he was a respected Temple trustee and an older man.

Constand said the calls pertained only to Temple women's basketball and stopped once she left the university. "If she wanted to do that, then I would be willing to. pay for the schooling". He said he would write it down and mail it to her.

Constand's mother followed her on the stand and bolstered her daughter's account. Constand kept clarifying that, in her view, it was "suggestive contact". "You and Andrea were good friends". "He said to her, 'Andrea don't you remember?"

Gianna Constand was defiant in cross-examination, often firing back at defense attorney Angela Agrusa's questioning.

Agrusa also attempted to portray earlier encounters between Constand and Cosby as romantic, including a private dinner on his couch in front of a fire, with incense burning in the room. Agrusa asked Constand on Tuesday.

"No, he was sorry for what he did", Gianna Constand shot back.

"He admitted he was a sick man", she said, as the 79-year-old entertainer, sat with his head bowed and shook his head vigorously.

Andrea Constand emerged from 12 years of silence Tuesday to testify at Cosby's sexual assault trial. Cosby has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Agrusa contended that the advances Cosby made on Constand on two occasions - touching her thigh one time, and attempting to unbutton her trousers and pull down her zipper another - signaled his romantic interest.

"Mr. Cosby never disclosed to me that he was interested in a romantic interaction with me", she said during her seven hours of testimony, spanning two days. Constand managed the women's basketball team at Temple, Cosby's alma mater, while he was a high-profile trustee.

The defense has pointed out that phone records show Constand called Cosby 53 times after she says he assaulted her. Constand told the jury the calls mostly involved the women's basketball team, especially around tournament time. Constand has said neither of those assertions was correct.

The 44-year-old testified on Tuesday that she saw Cosby as a "mentor", and considered him "somewhat of an older figure".

WHAT SHE SAID: Constand dismissed any suggestion she and Cosby shared a romantic relationship before the night she says he assaulted her.

Much of the cross-examination focused on 16 March, 2004 - the date Ms Constand initially told police the alleged assault occurred. She has previously testified that she did not immediately share her allegations with police or her family.

Obviously in all that time I'm not one to let a situation go and so I kept harping at him, and when he realized the game was over and there was no manipulating... The defense has tried to characterize both women as professionally eager and malleable, looking for a career change that they knew Cosby could facilitate. She told jurors her daughter had nightmares in the months after the alleged assault but that she wouldn't divulge what happened for about a year.

Constand said she told Cosby she was not interested.

After the recording was played, Steele, the district attorney, gently asked her why she was so aggressive in that phone call with Cosby. "I said, 'I trust you.' I took the pills, and I swallowed the pills down".