15 killed, 120 missing in China landslide

Share

Rescue crews were ordered on Monday to evacuate the site of a deadly landslide in southwestern China over concerns of a second landslide, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Government teams were ordered to evacuate the site on Monday after radar detected shifts in the mountain, signalling another imminent collapse. The death toll will likely climb as more than 1,000 rescue workers wait to resume search efforts.

So far, only a couple and their month-old baby successfully fled the village when rocks began tumbling on homes.

At least 10 people have been confirmed dead and 93 are still missing after heavy rain brought down the side of a mountain onto the village in Sichuan province.

Rocks and mud measuring about 100 cubic meters fell.

Workers using heavy equipment including cranes, bulldozers and heavy diggers continue to dig through the debris, which blocked a 2-kilometer (1.2-mile) stretch of a nearby river.

It is impossible to prevent such landslides from happening, so we need to try to prevent or minimize the harm they cause.

Three members of a family from the village were rescued five hours after the landslide struck on Saturday.

Xinhua added that there were "risks of a secondary landslide".

Meanwhile, a minor landslide hit the village again today.

Chinese President Xi Jinping called for "all-out efforts" to save the buried victims, prevent repeating disasters and give the necessary care to the relatives of the missing.

Geological monitoring was continuing, the Maoxian county government said on its Weibo account. "The whole village is done for", she said.

Sichuan is a province that is prone to earthquakes, including one of 8.0-magnitude that hit central Wenchuan County in 2008, killing almost 70,000 people.

Mao county sits next to Wenchuan.

Most residents of the area are poor farmers of the Qiang ethnic minority and the area is the target of a poverty alleviation project, according to government officials.

Share