Sharapova says she'll 'rise up again' after French Open snub

Share

"As you talk with players, it's very controversial".

As it stands now, Wimbledon will need to stand by their confidence that they can handle the extra interest when the qualifying events are held in the small grounds of Roehampton.

"Regrettably, I've decided not to participate in the French Open", said the Swiss tennis superstar in a statement on his Twitter page on Monday.

Two-time former champion Maria Sharapova has been snubbed by French Open organisers, who opted against handing the Russian a wildcard into this month's clay court grand slam.

"I am a bit disappointed that the Italian federation haven't done the same thing by giving her a wildcard here in Rome this week, even though she didn't get through". "But it's my responsibility, it's my mission, to protect the game and protect the high standards of the game".

Sharapova's ranking has ballooned to 211 after returning to the circuit last month and it wasn't high enough for her to warrant automatic selection. "While wild cards exist for players returning from injury, there is nothing for a return from a doping ban".

A tournament may grant a wild card to any eligible player.

Sharapova did not comment on Tuesday's announcement.

Nadal in third round Spanish tennis star and World No 4 Rafael Nadal reached the third round of the Rome Masters after compatriot Nicolas Almagro pulled out due to injury here on Wednesday.

Sharapova missed out on the Grand Slam event for the second year running as she continues her return from a 15-month drugs ban. If Sharapova also wants to play the week before, she has Nottingham and the Dutch town of Rosmalen to choose between.

He felt that offering Sharapova a short cut into the main draw would send the wrong message in the fight against doping in sports.

"I'm sure there were a lot of things I could have done better. I respect, and we should respect, the decision that was first taken by the International Tennis Federation's independent tribunal and then considered on appeal by CAS".

Throughout all the trials and tribulations of Sharapova's doping case since she announced her positive test for Meldonium back in March previous year, Simon has been broadly supportive of the Russian but had not yet criticised any decision that had gone against her until the announcement yesterday. "She has complied with the sanction", said WTA chief Steve Simon.

The 30-year-old told CAS that she had used the heart disease drug, which was only banned in January 2016, for health problems for 10 years.

Former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash hopes the All England Club will "stay strong" and not offer Maria Sharapova a wildcard entry into this year's championships. Frenchman Constant Lestienne gets wild card in qualifying despite serving ban for illegal betting.

Share