Police told WFMJ that Buckle attempted to rub a white powder into the floor of the auto when Officer Chris Green intervened to stop him.
It is believed that Green inadvertently came into contact with the potentially deadly opioid fentanyl, which is 50 to 100 time more powerful than morphine and can be absorbed through the skin. That's when an ambulance was called, and Green was treated for the overdose.
Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic painkiller that is sometimes mixed with heroin in powder form.
An Ohio police officer suffered a drug overdose after a routine arrest. It is believed that driver Justin Buckel, 25, and passenger Cortez Collins, 24, had broken open stash bags and tried to disguise the substance in the floor of the vehicle. "I could hear them talking, but I couldn't respond", Green told Morning Journal.
The suspects then told officers that the drug was in fact fentanyl.
An East Liverpool officer overdosed by simply touching some fentanyl that rubbed off on his clothes during an arrest, authorities said.
At the station, the medical responders gave Green a dose of the opioid antidote Narcan, followed by three more doses after he was taken to the hospital. I was in total shock.
Police said when they pulled the men over, the pair was "moving wildly about inside the vehicle". "'No way I'm overdosing, ' I thought".
"If he would have been alone, he would have been dead", Lane said.
An Ohio police department found out this weekend that it's a scary situation when a brother in blue accidentally overdoses on the scene.
"We think they were trying to flee, but they were blocked in", said Captain Patrick Wright, according to WKBN.
"We try to minimize our exposure and direct contact with anything", Solic said. He leaves and goes home, takes off that shirt, throws it in the wash. They are charged with tampering with evidence. The officer is in fine condition now, the Associated Pressreports, but he passed out last Friday after absorbing a small amount of the drug through his skin.