Man arrested in connection with death of runner due in court


A man arrested in connection with the death of a New York City woman jogging near her mother's MA home last summer was tied the crime scene through DNA and cellphone evidence, as well as eyewitness reports, prosecutors said Tuesday.

That sample matched the DNA found on Marcotte.

Worcester Assistant District Attorney Jeffrey Travers said that mobile phone data shows that Mr Ortiz had been in that area on the date of the murder, and that he had not been working at the time.

Angelo Colon-Ortiz was charged with assault and attempted rape, and prosecutors said they sought the high bail because they expect to charge him with murder in the August 7 slaying of 27-year-old New York City resident Vanessa Marcotte.

ISpeaking at a press conference on Saturday, he said: 'We got him.

Marcotte's body was found in the woods several hours after she failed to return from a run to her mother's home in Princeton, about 40 miles (64 kilometres) west of Boston.

Marcotte, who was 27, had worked for Google in New York City, and was visiting family in Princeton, Massachusetts, last August. Police said her body was naked and partially burned.

Police on Friday said it was Vanessa's ferocious fight that left her attacker's DNA on her body, which led police to make an arrest. Investigators were able to recover DNA on her hands, which was sent for DNA testing.

"DNA from a possible suspect was obtained at her autopsy from an examination of her hands". Colon-Ortiz was driving a dark SUV when he was spotted by a state trooper who recognized the profile of Marcotte's suspected killer. Marcotte had planned to return home to NY that night, officials said.

Prosecutors told the court that while Colon-Ortiz has not yet been charged with Marcotte's murder, he can expect to face a murder charge after officials complete his indictment.

Parr returned to the apartment the next day and Colon-Ortiz voluntarily submitted to a buccal swab for his DNA.

Police say they have DNA evidence that proves that he killed Marcotte.

Colon-Ortiz was working in Princeton around the time of the murder, but Early would not say what type of work he was doing, nor would he say where in the Central Massachusetts town he was working.

And though investigators thanked the public for the more than 1,300 tips provided by the public, Early noted that Parr was the one who delivered the "break in the case". The family has started the Vanessa T. Marcotte Foundation, which aims to bring about a world where "women are safe and free to live boldy", according to the website.